Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Next 10 Years . . (Day 14) - 20 Days of Chill

In the next 10 years, assuming we haven't destroyed one another, the leaves will still change in the fall.  The snow will fall (hopefully), and the seasons will change.  

The one thing that will be different, from my perspective is, I will be retired.  I've been teaching the hormonally schizophrenic (otherwise known as middle school students) for 34 years.  I started out teaching in Buena Park, California.  I taught there for one year, then took a teaching position at Cucamonga Junior High School, now known as Cucamonga Middle School.

I'm not quite ready to step down yet, but I can see that opening at the end of the tunnel, and it's no longer a train barreling down the track, but an open window on a new world.  I know many people who have no desire to retire for the simple reason they feel they'd be bored.  Not me.  

As I noted in another post, there's a lot of things I want to do.  One of them is to experience different places in the fall.  Having grown up in Southern California, we don't really have fall.  Leave turn colors all through our winter as it gets colder. I want to see an actual fall sometime.  I haven't been able to do that, because I'm always working in the fall.  I guess my first trip when I retire will be to New Hampshire.  Who knows?  It could happen.

12 comments:

  1. it's nice to have plans after you retire, most people just relax and take it easy.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm definitely not planning on relaxing. I plan to stay busy in my retirement.

      Delete
  2. You are going to LOVE retirement. Take it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhh I wish I could retire soon. That is wonderful! And your description of middle school kids? SPOT ON! ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It takes a special person to teach middle school. Not saying I'm special, but my wife keeps telling me that she's been married to an 8th grader for almost 30 years now.

      Delete
  4. Indian Summers are gorgeous in the New England States, you have lots to look forward to!
    Congratulations on teaching high school for so many years. I bet you could write a book about the things you've experienced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If I had been thinking I should have been taking better notes than I did. It would have made the writing go so much easier. I actually have a title picked out should I ever decide to write a book.

      "Pig Poop on the Ceiling" - and other misadventures in a middle school classroom.

      Delete
    2. Pig Poop on the Ceiling.... OOOOoookay? I'm pretty sure there is a backstory you could squeeze into a blog post?

      Delete
    3. Oh, there's a story in there all right.

      Delete
  5. After you retire you will probably wonder how you ever had time to work. Enjoy making your plans, and then make them come true.

    ReplyDelete