Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Fears (Day 13) - 20 Days of Chill

I have a fear of heights.  It's an irrational fear I know, yet it still bothers me when I'm really high in something and there's nothing to hold on to or something like that.  

On our first anniversary, my wife and I took a trip to Seattle, Washington.  One of the things that we visited was the Space Needle.  We bought our tickets and waited for the elevator to take us to the top.  Ironically, something like this usually doesn't faze me.  But when I saw the glass elevator, I panicked a little.  

Going up was fine because I was rather rude and pushed my way to the front of the line and jumped in all the way to the back of the elevator.  At the top, I was fine, mainly because there were so many anti-suicide devices that I knew I wasn't going to fall.  Perhaps that's the fear.  It's not so much the height, but the fear of falling.

Now, going down was a different story.  I had been so comfortable up there enjoying the views, that I forgot all about the elevator.  I ended up being the last one on and so I was pressed up against the glass as we descended.  I hyperventilated and had to turn around and stare at the floor to keep from going full panic attack mode.


For the most part, I've overcome this fear.  At least I know it's irrational.  I'll readily get into planes now.  Before, there needed to be a really valid reason for me to fly before I'd even consider getting into a plane.  I know people will laugh at this considering it as rather silly, but how many of those same people will shudder when looking at either one of the photos I've used for this post?

Fears are irrational.  I think Franklin Delano Roosevelt said it best when he stated in his first inaugural speech, "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."

For other stories about Fears, click here.

7 comments:

  1. I have a fear of heights. I am all good in a roller coaster... strapped in. But when I go to the top of a lighthouse I stay away from the edge and hug the wall with my back. But I do it... just like you - you gotta try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do less and less on rollercoasters, not so much of the height factor, but because as I've aged, I don't like being banged around as much. I stopped doing wooden coasters about 8 years ago and the last time I was on a steel coaster, was probably three years ago.

      The height of roller coasters really bugged me. I don't like the lift hills. You're just so far up and it's like, Ugh. But once you go over that first hill, man what a rush.

      Delete
  2. Ooohhh, spiders and snakes, my coworker would LOVE your post just for the pictures!
    I can relate to your elevator episode. Glass doors (floors are even worse) put me at unease as well. There is a glass platform on top of Toronto's CN Tower. People were goofing around lying down on it and stuff. I turned around, all pale, thinking they've got to me crazy.
    Have you heard of the Grand Canyon Skywalk? Not going there. Not my idea of a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been to the Grand Canyon Sky walk. I'm not interested in that as I can view the canyon just fine from the rim in the National Park. The one that just kills me is the glass bottomed floor at the top of the Sears Tower in Chicago. No freakin' way would you ever see me on that one.

      Delete
  3. I know I visited here, and thought I left a comment, though now it escapes me what I might have said. At any rate, the snake in that picture is a bit scary, though I'm not prone to being afraid of snakes in general, the poisonous one are a different story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that one was definitely one that you would want to stay away from. It was a rattlesnake.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete