Thursday, April 30, 2015

PB Challenge (April 2015): Friends and Family

When I saw the prompt for this month's Photo Blogging challenge, I thought it might be difficult, but then I remembered that Easter was right at the beginning of the month and I knew we'd be with family, plus I also hosted a geocaching event at the beginning of the month, so then it actually became even tougher as I ended up with quite an assortment of photos for the theme.

That being stated, I decided to go a little bit different route with this month's theme.  And so without further ado, I give you my five photos for the theme Friends and Family.

1.  Handprints in cement

I think these handprints are from when I was about eight or nine years old.  Mine is the one on the right.  Sometime during that period, my dad poured some concrete at our house in Santa Ana, CA where we grew up and had all three of us put our hands in the wet cement.  When they finally moved out of that house about 15 years ago or so, my dad pried up that piece of cement and brought it with them to their new house where it now sits on an island in the front yard.  It's definitely a reminder of when we were a lot younger and smaller and it's fun to look at.  You can see I really relished squishing my hands into the cement, whereas my sisters were much more dainty in their approach to the gooey stuff.  Boys will be boys I guess.

2.  The Calendar

I'd say close to 20 years ago, my two sisters and I decided to start a family tradition by giving my parents a photo calendar.  The past 6 years or so, I've coordinated the effort, collected the photos from various people and put the entire thing together on my computer.  It's worked out rather well and my parents cherish this gift each year and it proudly hangs on their refrigerator in the kitchen.  The first year, my dad wanted to actually use it to write calendar reminders in it, but my mom put the kibosh on that very quickly.  They also don't throw them away and my mom says she goes out in the garage where they are stored and looks through them from time to time.  She gets to see her grandkids grow up every time she does that.

When we started this endeavor, it was a lot easier because there was only three sources that the photos came from since the kids were small and the adults, my sisters and me were the ones who took the photos.  Now, with four of the grandchildren on their own, we have to really on photos from seven different sources.  That just means we have to start the process earlier each year.  Before, I used to send the "all call" for photos sometime just before Thanksgiving and I'd have the photos soon afterwards and it would be a done deal.  This year, we were slightly late getting the calendar to my parents, but they did get it before New Year's Day, so it's all good.  April of this year was my niece's and her husband's month, so they're featured on that page.

3.  University of Notre Dame

Some of you might not be aware of this, but I was born in South Bend, Indiana, home of Notre Dame.  This all came about, because my grandfather taught at Notre Dame back in the early 1930s.  Because of this, my dad and two of his brothers also went to Notre Dame.  Some of my cousins went to Notre Dame and I also had a cousin who was a priest who taught at Notre Dame.  This cousin also married my parents and married my sister and her husband.  Notre Dame is a family affair with us and although I didn't attend there, mainly because it was out of my price range when it came my turn to attend college, I follow the college quite closely, especially for football.

Growing up in Southern California, that was sometimes very tough to do, mainly because many of my friends in junior high and high school were USC fans.  My best friend attended USC and during the 70s and early 80s, it was tough being a Notre Dame fan when they played each other because usually USC came out on top.  Yes, I was there in 1974 when Notre Dame was ahead 24-7 at halftime and I watched Anthony Davis run back the second half kick off directly toward the Notre Dame section at the closed end of the Colosseum in Los Angeles, which started an avalanche of points, eventually leading to a 55-24 loss to USC.  That was just ugly.

I was also there in 1988 with our entire family to watch #1 Notre Dame battle #2 USC.  Both teams were exceptionally good that year and my dad and I surmised that the winner of this game would become the national champion that year.  My dad took no chances that year as he was decked out in full Irish regalia, including his blue and gold Notre Dame tam-o-shanter.  That's when I finally realized that my dad was one of "those" people.  Those crazy alumni you always see.  I'd never seen him like that before, but he really wanted a win that day.  I don't believe he'd seen Notre Dame win in Los Angeles since 1966 when the Irish shellacked the Trojans 51-0 enroute to a national championship that year as well.  Anyway, to make a long story short, Notre Dame came out on top that year and our family went home very happy.  I haven't been back to see a Notre Dame/USC game in Los Angeles since that game.  I want that memory to last forever.  It was very satisfying.

4.  Father of the Bride

About a year and a half ago, I was up visiting my daughter.  I'm an early riser and my daughter isn't so I'd usually get up early, find some local geocaches and then hang out with her later in the day.  This particular day, my daughter's boyfriend asked me if he could tag along and go geocaching with me.  Sure, why not?  But I had a suspicion that he had ulterior motives, after all he'd been dating my daughter for four years at the time and we were pretty sure they were serious about settling down.

Eventually that day he asked for our blessing to marry my daughter.  I don't think my daughter could have picked a finer young man to spend the rest of her life and my wife and I were both thrilled that he was going to be joining the family.  As you can see, all of this will be coming to fruition in the middle of July up in the Bay Area. I will fully admit that I will probably be very emotional about this and will probably be the one crying as we walk down the aisle.  But I know if I start to cry, so will she and it will just be a mess, so I will restrain myself and think of happy things.  Maybe I'll even crack a joke as we walk down the aisle.  I think part of me is sad, after all, I loved her first, but most of me is very happy.  He makes her happy and I like that.  I'm looking forward to when I can call him my son-in-law.

5.  Geocaching friends

Most of these photos have been about family, so I knew this last one had to be about friends.  Another part of geocaching that I don't always talk about is the number of friendships that have developed for me over the years since I started this crazy game.  Outside of my wife, I can say most assuredly, that most of my best friends are fellow geocachers.

This is Craig who I've known for three years, possibly more.  I don't think I can pinpoint the exact time I met Craig, as it's more of a gradual thing as opposed to a specific day.  Either way, Craig is a very good friend of mine and although this isn't the best photo of him, the only other one I had was of his backside carrying a tire while we were cleaning up a trailhead last weekend during a Geocaching earth day weekend event.  I'm sure he's probably glad that I didn't post that one.

Craig is the friend that I helped last summer hike the John Muir Trail.  He needed a ride to get up to the starting point in Yosemite Valley and I readily jumped at that opportunity.  In fact, I credit Craig with helping me get into better shape.  When he decided to do this hike, I was invited to come along.  I knew I wasn't in any kind of physical shape to do that kind of hike, but over the past year, I've lost weight, gotten into biking more and am just more physically fit.  If he'd been doing this trek this year, I probably would have gone on the hike.  As it is, there was a time in the last couple of years when I thought my hiking and backpacking days were behind me, but I don't think that anymore and I thank Craig for being that inspiration.  This year, he and I have another road trip planned for June just because we like to geocache and it's fun to go out on the road and explore new territory.  

And that about does it for this month's photo blogging challenge. I hope you have enjoyed this month's selection.  It's not my usual type of shots, but I wanted to do something a little bit different this time around.  To see other people's interpretation of this month's theme, stop by P.J.'s blog and click on the links at the bottom of that page.

20 comments:

  1. Hi paul, I love your concrete hand prints, it is a really good family memento. It reminds me of one we did of a paw print of our dog, when he was a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love all of these... Photo wise I think the plate is most stunning... But my favorite is the calendar because of the story. Love how your mom said no way to using it as a normal calendar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. My mom was pretty adamant about that. I don't know whether you can see it or not, but the photo on the wall behind the plate is a picture of the Notre Dame Stadium. There's also something else representing Notre Dame as well up on that shelf where the plate is. There is no shortage of Irish memorabilia in my parent's house.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your daughter's engagement!

    I'm celebrating my 5th wedding anniversary in May. I remember my Dad throwing me around the dance floor during the father/daughter dance. (It was funnier than that sounds. My Dad was so happy swinging me around in a wedding dress.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it sounds like it was a good memory, which is the most important thing. I think if my daughter lived closer, we'd probably do something more choreographed, but I suspect we'll just have a traditional dance.

      Delete
  4. Paul, as always I really enjoyed the blogging accompaniment to the photographs. So interesting to read that someone else's Mom refuses to write on the family photo calendar! Makes me wonder whether I should just do a printed up mini photo book for my parents next time around. And happy caching (any souvenir hunting this weekend?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hosted an event this morning, got a FTF on a puzzle cache and then did a very well done Wherigo this morning. Tomorrow we have more events and virtuals in store. It's going to be a busy weekend celebrating geocaching's birthday.

      Delete
  5. I plan on starting a similar tradition as yours with the family calendar. I'm hoping to do a yearly photobook for my aunts and uncles, but we'll see how that goes after a few years since I know that might get pretty expensive.

    Can't wait to see your set next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been using the Apple calendar maker that comes with iPhoto. The calendar is pretty expensive, but divided by 3 and it makes it rather affordable and my parents get a nice quality product out of the deal.

      Delete
  6. Unique and interesting, I love all your shots for this month's theme! I think I like the wedding invite the best as it reflects the meshing of many families and friends together into one! We also have a cement hand print "boulder" in our yard too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine Oney TurnerMay 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM

    Hey Paul, I just started lurking your blog in the past 6 months or so. I love the pictures and especially the stories behind them. The handprints photo really speaks to me as that is something we've done in my family ever since the kids were little (they are 17 & 18 now). We have handprints in the concrete by the basketball court as well as by the mail box (with dates too). And every other year for Mother's Day, my husband Jim has the kids put their handprints (and sometimes footprints) in a new stepping stone, which are now scattered around our backyard. As the kids have gotten older & bigger, both of their hands don't fit in one stone mold, so they get their own to put their handprint in and after the concrete dries, decorate with paint (or glitter in the case of my daughter). The stones always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christine. I wish I had thought of something like that when our children were growing up. Perhaps a photo every year in the same spot to document their growth over the years? I may do that if I ever have grandchildren.

      Delete
  8. I love that you have the concrete hand prints still. That's a treasure. The calendar is a great idea that I might have to steal one day. That would be a great gift for the grandparents. Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the hand print shot. Very cool stuff. And I'm with you on the calendar. I do the same thing each year for my mother. It's such a cool thing to make a personal gift like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P.J. I can see that after my folks pass on, there could be some ugly things happen with regard to those handprints. I can see at least my one sister wanting to divide it up. If that's what she wants to do, I shall relinquish my claim on it and let someone have the entire thing. I don't think it should be split apart, even though part of it is.

      Delete