Thursday, January 5, 2017

I found a ball … (Day 4) - 20 Days of Chill

Since this blog is entitled A photo a day, I went looking through my flickr feed for a ball.  I was looking for a shot of a baseball I'd taken a photo of last year.  I didn't find that one, but I found a ball anyway.  Actually, I found lots of balls.

This is a temporary artwork that was set up in MacArthur Park in 2015 entitles the Spheres of MacArthur Park.  The artist who set up this artwork is Ed Massey

The artwork, 4 to 6 feet tall painted spheres, was part of Portraits of Hope, an organization devoted to creating public art installations that serve as creative therapy for children with disabilities and those in hospitals coping with cancer, burn trauma, and head injuries.  Most of the spheres were painted by people with disabilities. 

So today, I found several balls.  See other stories about this theme here.

10 comments:

  1. I don't know why people think of baseball when they heard 'ball', I thought the same thing at first too.

    I thought these were beach balls at first with the water beneath them but they are quite nice and colorful creations

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's because P.J. is a baseball fanatic? I love baseball and when I hear the word ball, my first inclination always leans toward baseball.

      Delete
  2. That is unbelievable. What a beautiful work of art - and the story behind it is even better. The colors are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's very reminiscent of Christo's temporary works of art. This one is not in the best area of Los Angeles however. I wouldn't want to go down here at night at all.

      Delete
  3. So pretty, they look like a bunch of giant beach balls. I'm sure the kids loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen photos of people canoeing in between them. Probably had to get permits to do that. There were quite a few of those balls in the lake.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, love your healing balls!
    I looked up MacArthur Park - seems to be located between the ⚾️Dodger's and 🏀 Staples Center, all very ball-sy places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wild photo filed with color, which is always nice. And the organization sounds really wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. I have always enjoyed temporary outdoor art like this.

      Delete