Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Photograph (Day 3) - 20 Days of Chill

One of the things I love about photography is the freedom to explore different areas where I wouldn't have gone 5 years ago.  In 2011, I joined the 365 Project which challenges photographers to shoot at least one shot every day for 365 consecutive days.

Now, for those of you who know me well, when I dive into something, I dive into it full cannonball mode.  Not only did I do an entire year, I did a second year, not missing a single day of picking up my DSLR camera and taking at least one shot.

Looking back on some of those early shots, I think I would be embarrassed to even show those shots the light of day today.  I can distinctly remember a shot of three different kinds of hotdogs.  Who posts photos of hotdogs anyway?  Yeah, well I did.

One aspect of photography that has intrigued me over the years has been street photography.  When I first started doing the project, I rarely took candid shots just walking down the street.  Over the course of the first year I became bolder and now I find myself enjoying taking street photography.  This particular shot is one of my better street shots I've taken. Because I feel street photography works better in monotones, that's how I usually process them.  Every now and then, I'll post a street photograph in color, but most of the time, I find the black and white aspect of the shot gives it more detail and dramatic effect.

Please check out others interpretations of the theme Photograph here.

10 comments:

  1. I like the black and white as well, it really fits with street photography or photos that are taken quickly.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like seeing your street photography. You have a way about doing it. I'm not good with it, so I really enjoy seeing those who do it well.

    As for hot dog photos ... I take and post photos of hot dogs from my baseball travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As for hot dog photos. I understand the photo of the hotdogs from baseball games, but this was just a photo of some hotdogs in there packaging before we'd started cooking them. The photo was just terrible.

      Delete
  3. That is a good shot. I like how the musicians are prominent and the background less so. I take a fair number of pictures with my little canon and my phone, but I'm not a photographer by any stretch. This prompt was right up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. You might find the 365 Project something that you might enjoy. The challenge is to take a photo every day, but if you don't, no worries. It's your project. The thing that it did for me was it got me to use my camera more, making me a better photographer.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I forget about black and white... then I'll take a few and will love the look. Then I forget again. Thank you for the reminder!

    I actually would very much enjoy a photo of a hot dog. Anything unusual. I get tired of standard flowers and clouds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the hotdog was done right, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The photo of the hotdogs I took was abysmal. As far as flowers and clouds. I can't get enough clouds, probably because we don't get many clouds in California. Flowers? Flowers are easy. Anyone can be a good flower photographer. I once challenged myself not to take a flower shot for an entire month. IT was difficult because flowers are so easy. However, doing that forced me to look elsewhere for inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Hotdog photos are definitely a thing, Paul!
    Going through my picture folder tells me that I usually don't go longer than two days without taking pictures. It's mainly when I am at work. OR if I'm not happy. When we do stuff I don't like, I don't take pictures. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, I can understand the not taking photos things. It's always easier to take photos when you're in a good mood. And how dare that thing called work get in the way of the things we really like to do.

      Delete