Saturday, January 12, 2013

Studying abroad

My middle son was the one who wanted to see the world right now.  His due date was August 18, but my wife went into labor with him for the first time on July 4th of that year.  Again on July 17th and once again later on.  He finally decided to make his appearance for good on August 12th, a day after my parents 35th wedding anniversary.  The one thing that stands out in my mind is the panicked look on the nurse's face as she raced to the door of the delivery room and screamed at the top of her voice, "SOMEBODY BETTER FIND DR. LEE, OR HE'S GOING TO MISS THIS ONE!"

My son is now grown and a senior in college.  He's been attending the University of California at Santa Cruz for the past 3 and a half years.  Tomorrow, he takes off on his latest adventure, studying abroad in England for the next five months.  He'll be studying at the University of Sussex in Brighton which is south of London along the coast.  

This past week, we've been doing last minute things to help him prepare for his trip.  Yesterday we ended up exchanging money to get his some spending money when he arrives in London.  I like the look of English pounds.  They're colorful.  They're different sizes.

We're, obviously, very excited for him.  But at the same time, I'm a little bit sad.  It's not that he's not coming back, but I have really enjoyed this past month while he's been home.  He has been very pleasant company, very engaging in conversation at the dinner table and very enjoyable to be around.  He will be missed, but he'll come back and be a college graduate, our second.  This will be a very exciting period in his life, one I hope he enjoys thoroughly.

2 comments:

  1. congrats to your son for taking the time to study abroad. Our goddaughter took a semester in Scotland which she thoroughly enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really awesome. What a life experience. Hope it works out in a great way! I regret not taking that chance when I was in college.

    ReplyDelete