Friday, January 25, 2013

Flashback Friday

A neighbor down the street has an excellent front yard garden.  Repeatedly, over the past couple of years I've walked down there because there seems to be so much activity with butterflies flitting about, ladybugs doing all sorts of things and an occasional squirrel.  

This particular squirrel, however, is an European Brown Squirrel and it's an introduced species into the environment here.  We should see lots of gray squirrels in this area, but they are being pushed out by the more aggressive brown squirrel.

I can remember talking with my neighbor about seeing this squirrel in his olive tree and he said with a disdainful look, "Oh, that's Fred."  or something of that nature.  It was clear my neighbor wasn't happy with Fred at all and would probably have liked to have seen the demise of Fred.

What I remember about Fred is he stayed perfectly still for me while I stood about 10 feet away from him and composed my shot.  I liked the way he was peeking out from behind the tree trunk and how the small olive branches framed him.

Photo originally taken March 25th, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment