Friday, January 18, 2013

Flashback Friday

As I read through other blogs, I notice that many people, when they can't think of something to write about, or more likely want to give themselves a break from the daily writing, have a day where they just post photos or something else to that effect.  Wordless Wednesday are like that as one example.

Since I don't publish on a regular basis, but want to give my readers something to think about on a regular basis, I may try something similar to this, but this will be Flashback Friday.  What I plan on doing is going into my 365 Project and clicking the flashback button on my main photo for the day.  Anyone who's posted 30 photos will get a flashback link on their photos too.

By clicking on that link, the website will take me to a random photo in one of my three albums.  I'll post that photo here and write a little bit about it, perhaps expand on it from what I wrote over there.

This was Tom.  He was my stranger #11 back in September.  I met him up in Santa Clara, CA while I was saying goodbye to my daughter after a quick visit with her while taking my older son back to his school at Santa Cruz.  It's complicated I know, but it worked.

My daughter and I were having one of those last minute chats before I got into the car to head on home and Tom walked by us and struck up a conversation with us.  He noticed my t-shirt with the University of the Pacific on the front and was very interested in the educational aspect of our conversation.  He was very proud of the fact that he'd been involved in the education system in Santa Clara for 46 years as you can see on his baseball cap.  He had also just been inducted into the Santa Clara Unified School District's Hall of Fame in 2011.

Taking some of these stranger shots are sometimes very difficult.  Getting up the nerve to ask someone if you can take their photo can be intimidating.  I think if it wasn't it wouldn't be so gratifying afterwards.  There's one thing about saying hi, or having a passing conversation, but it's quite a bit different to then take it to the next level and ask if they'll let you take their photograph.  I've had turn downs in the past, but Tom readily said yes.  I can't say this is the best portrait I've taken, but I sent him a 5x7 copy of it.  I've never heard back from him, but I hope he liked it.

That's my first Flashback Friday.

2 comments:

  1. "Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing; Only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another; Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow: 'The Theologian’s Tale', from "Tales of a Wayside Inn."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the flashbacks or photo days are excellent. I've had a lot of fun with my Snapshot Saturday, which is going and finding old family photos and posting them. With my family all over, it's nice to share it with them. I like what you are doing here. It will give you some blog fodder, which is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete