Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Irony

As I walked through Little Tokyo in Los Angeles on Saturday with my friend, I spotted these two guys on a bench.  Based upon their proximity, it's obvious they know each other, yet they were so absorbed in their own worlds on their small screens there didn't seem to be any kind of interaction between the two of them.  As someone pointed out on the 365 project, they could most likely be texting each other.

Maybe, or maybe not, but I don't think they would have noticed me had I snuck up to get a closer shot. It's really too bad though because it seems like our society is getting more and more like this and it's not just the young age group either.  I spotted many older people on their phones seemingly oblivious to the world around them.  Perhaps these two guys were waiting for their girlfriends to come out of a store but still, couldn't they have had a conversation with each other as opposed to with other people somewhere in cyberspace?

This particular shot had all sorts of lighting problems with lots of shadows playing in the bright sunlight.  I felt the B&W was the best way to go with this shot.

2 comments:

  1. People have always been oblivious to their surroundings. 150 years ago, a farmer tilling his field likely would not have stopped to see the birds flying over head. "There's work to be done! I don't have time to watch the birds, nor care if one of them has yellow on it." I don't think the Roman armies of 2000 years ago spent much time looking at the scenery as they marched along to battle. The main difference now is that we have more toys with which to amuse ourselves.

    Which is not to say that I disagree with your basic premise. I just don't think that things are really all that much different than, say, 40 years ago; they are just more pronounced.

    On the plus side, Natural Selection should take care of the "problem", eventually. Those who are that distracted will tend not to survive long enough to procreate. Think of it as Evolution in Action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think black and white works better with street shots.

    I totally know what you mean about absorbing into the internet world. I am on a computer way too much right now, but much of it is spent in my job hunt. I have no choice. I look forward to one day finally being employed again and hopefully getting back to remembering things how they were before -- looking at the world around you and enjoying life. There's so much to see when you pick your head up and look around.

    ReplyDelete