Monday, January 28, 2013

Street Photography

This past Saturday, I boarded the Metrolink to ride it into Union Station in Los Angeles.  I was meeting a friend there and our purpose was to find some of the local geocaches there, but the primary objective was to do a photo walk together.  Union Station is located just southeast of Dodger Stadium near downtown and it's in walking distance of several ethnic neighborhoods, so the photo opportunities were almost endless.

We ended up walking first through Olvera St., a Hispanic shopping district just outside the entrance of Union Station.  Unfortunately, most of the shops, at 10:00 in the morning were still boarded up so the place wasn't really hopping yet, we we walked up and then over to Chinatown which was only slightly busier.  

As we walked along the streets, I convinced myself that I was going to push myself to take some street shots today.  Just aim the camera and see what I could take.  Hopefully, I could get some interesting shots.  I think I got more than just some.  One of the things this area of Los Angeles is not lacking and that's homeless or down and out people, not necessarily homeless, but basically hurting for many creature comforts most of us consider commonplace.


Chinatown is a bustling area with many people coming and going and yet you could still see people trying to make do with what little they had.  I saw more than one person trying to catch a short nap on a bench before someone wearing a security badge rousted them and had them move along.

Street photography is very much different than taking a landscape photo.  It's easy to take a photo of a deer in the woods, or a mountain stream.  It's quite another thing to take shots of complete strangers, most going about their daily business.  This is sort of one step down from the 100 Strangers project which I've written about in the past.  With that project, you actually have to go up and ask the person's permission before taking the photo.  With street photography, you just take the shot.  Sometimes they come out OK, and other times they don't look so good.  


Many times I was literally shooting from the hip because I didn't want the person to know I was taking their photo.  There was nothing really clandestine about that, I just saw something that looked interesting and wanted to get the shot.  If the person knows they're being photographed, they will change their expression or possibly their posture.  I wanted a raw image of what I saw.

With street photography, there's somewhat of an ethical question about whether people are being exploited by photographers in general.  I'm sure I will get a variety of responses regarding that issue, but I look at it this way.  If photographers don't take these shots, how are we ever going to know about certain situations?  Do we not show it because people are uncomfortable about certain aspects of what was seen?

When I take photos, I feel like I'm telling a story of my day or hour, depending upon how much time I used my camera that day.  This was my story for most of Saturday. I don't see this every day, but I did see it on Saturday and I'd like to share it with you.

7 comments:

  1. I tend to enjoy looking at much street photography, but am *VERY* uncomfortable taking it. It is an invasion thing with me: I dislike having my own privacy invaded, and so am highly reticent to invade that of others. The occasional person in a landscape or other photo is one thing; a shot that focuses on the people in it is quite another, and I am hesitant to take such a shot without asking permission. The exception to this, of course, is at a public event such as a baseball game or amusement park, where crowds are 'a priori' part of the scenery, and so have to accept being part of the background in many photos.

    That being said, I enjoy your three posted shots, although I wonder what it was about which the Hippies were correct. If it feels good, do it? I would suspect not. Everyone over 30 is the enemy? Doubtful, as all the surviving ones are over 30, now. Love is the answer? Perhaps, although it depends upon which form of love is meant. Greek, which has at least six different words for "love", depending upon which type is under discussion, is a much better language for asking the question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what his sign meant. I've actually posted another photo from my shoot from this weekend, but I wanted to post several different types of photos. The photo I mention is very similar to the color photo above and I felt would be a redundancy.

      Delete
  2. I am awful at street photography in that I can't seem to just take a photo of a stranger and act like I'm not doing it. I know I personally wouldn't want people taking photos of me if I were in that situation (and, I pray, I never am), so I look at it from that side. On the other hand, the photos can often be very strong and moving and do show something that not everybody gets to see every day. I love people shots and love taking them, but sometimes I wonder about them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Street photography is something you eventually get a hang of after awhile. My first tentative shots a couple of years ago were fraught with all sorts of thoughts of "what if the person catches me taking a photo of them?" As in geocaching, you eventually realize that most people are totally oblivious to their surroundingsa and never pay attention to what's going on right in front of them. You can stand on a street corner trying to be stealthy while trying to grab a geocache because you're concerned about the people in the cars might be watching you. They aren't, and if they are, two minutes down the road, they'll have forgotten about what they just saw and if they do remember, they won't be able to remember what street corner it happened on.

      Delete
    2. Totally with you on it. And I understand your point. I've taken some street shots I totally love, but it's more of a privacy thing. Though part is because I feel uneasy, the other is the wonder of if that person wants to be captured or not. That being said, some of the best photos I've seen in my lifetime are street shots. Some people are amazing with them.

      Delete
  3. Oh ... one more thing -- If I can ever find my way out to California, I definitely think a day of caching and photography in your area is a must!

    ReplyDelete