Thursday, January 21, 2016

If I had a million dollars

The prompt for the day is an easy one from my standpoint, although I've heard that a million isn't enough and it causes more problems than it's worth.  I think I could do quite well.

First off, we're going to have to assume that the million is tax free, because all this goes out the window if the government gets involved.  So I'm assuming I've won some prize where the government has already gotten its share and I'm left with a million dollars.

The first thing I'd do would be to retire.  I might make it to the end of the year, but I'd retire this year.  The million dollars would be invested.  Now, conservatively, I expect to get a return some where around 10%.  I may be dreaming here, but I think I could get some good financial advice and earn 10% interest on that money.  That means, coupled with my retirement income and my wife's retirement income, because trust me, she's retiring with me, I figure we'd be making somewhere about $70,000 dollars more than we do right now while working.

What this means is we could pursue things that we've always wanted to do.  My wife has talked about going back to school and get a masters.  I've wanted to travel more.  We could do that and live comfortably for the rest of our days without ever touching the million dollars.  The cool thing about this would be that we wouldn't have to worry as much about when we needed to buy a new car.  I'm driving around a 15 year old automobile and it needs to be replaced.  Hey, we need a new car!  Great, go out and get one!

I think the one extravagant thing I'd do would be to go on a Disney trip.  I think I'd like to take the train to Florida and visit Walt DisneyWorld again.  Last time I was there was a long time ago in another life.  EPCOT had just opened, but all of the other stuff there wasn't around.  It would be fun to go back and enjoy two weeks or so of some Disney magic.

Other than that, I think my life would be relatively the same, with the exception being that I wouldn't be working for my money, my money would be working for me.

6 comments:

  1. What would Marsha's focus be for her Master's degree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm not really sure. I know she's worked on an English master and I believe she's also worked on a reading Masters as well. I would be willing to bet that she'd go back and do something in the math fields however.

      Delete
  2. I so want to win a million bucks. Your ideas sound fun and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a plan and if you can find a way to get a 10% return on your money, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, like I said, I was probably dreaming, but winning the lottery is a larger sum of money, so I don't need to get that much.

      Delete