Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A dose of vitamin N

This was an interesting prompt.  What the heck?  There is no Vitamin N.  But then, when I googled it, it all made sense.  Nature.

Yeah, I believe I get a good dose of Vitamin N on the weekends and an even bigger dose of it during my breaks, but I don't think I get enough of it on a daily basis.  But then again, who has the time, except for those who are independently wealthy, or those who are retired?

I'm getting out on a daily basis for a little bit.  I did a short walk today to find a geocache.  It was the 227th consecutive day I've found a geocache.  The goal is to get to at least 366 days.  Finding geocaches gets me outside, but it's no necessarily nature like going to Bryce Canyon and hiking down in the canyon.  Then again, very few places can compete with Bryce Canyon.

So that's why I get out on the weekends for my hikes.  It fulfills me and keeps me fairly fresh for the upcoming week.  It's one of the reasons I really love my spring break the most.  Christmas break is a cruel holiday, especially if you're an adult.  You see two weeks off and you think, "Yeah, two weeks off."  But you spend the first week dealing with everything leading up to Christmas and you spend the second week with everything leading up to New Year and in reality you only have about two or three days to do what you really want to do.

My school district has taken two weeks at spring break for the longest time. I love it.  Think about it.  Spring break.  No commitments, nothing really to do except you have two weeks off to do what you want to do.  And if the weather is bad, it's only for a day, so you can curl up with a good book at home for that day.  At Christmas, if the weather is bad, you still have to go out in that crap, because things have to get done.

So yeah, I don't get enough of it, but I try to make the most of my Vitamin N any chance I can get.

8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful picture...what a way to get your daily dose of vitamin N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Bryce Canyon is probably my second favorite national park behind only Yosemite.

      Delete
  2. I need to definitely get out more. I don't do it enough. My issue with the geocaching aspect is I just don't like going solo, so sometimes it's hard. I just need to get out with my camera more and go explore. Maybe ride the bike. Or even get a kayak and go out on a lake or something. But I definitely want to get outside more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like going solo that much either P.J., but there are enough bike trails around that I can walk on those, get the Vitamin N, and get some caching done as well. I'll be heading down to Orange County tomorrow morning for a walk along a bike trail.

      Delete
  3. Spring break is a great time to load up on Vitamin N. We visited Bryce Canyon several years ago. It was impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd love to go to Bryce in the early spring when there's still snow on the ground.

      Delete
  4. As much as I enjoy Yosemite, and the scenery at Bryce and Zion (not to mention Lassen and Crater Lake!) is certainly stunning, while the rocks are fascinating in Joshua Tree, and the human drama of Gettysburg is almost beyond fathoming, and Death Valley is just... well, we were both there not too long ago, so what more needs to be said?, there is nothing as soul-soothing as a walk in the Redwoods :-) But then, this goes back to what you posted about different types of art, and people's reactions to it. If we all got the same thing from any one place, the best place would be crowded to death, and the rest would be empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Although I get your comment on the Redwoods. I did go to school up there.

      Delete