Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Willy Wonka’s greatest candy making secret - Day 3 of the Chill

Sometimes, blog posts make sense and sometimes they don't.  I think this post it going to fall into the latter category.  About the only thing I could possibly link to this was I played Willy Wonka in a dinner theater play our school hosted about 20 years ago.  The Everlasting Gobstopper was the all important piece of candy that Arthur Slugworth wanted to get his hands on and he'd stop at nothing to do it.


But this story isn't about Slugworth, or Willy Wonka, or Veruca Salt, or even Charlie Buckett.  It's about finding inspiration for photos in a variety of spots.   It's about making sure you're always prepared to take those photos that you know you'd kick yourself if you missed it. 

One thing I've learned is that you need to take your camera with you all the time.  You never know when the moment is going to strike and you'll get that picture perfect shot.  Case in point is this shot of a hummingbird I spotted while out geocaching in Ventura a couple of years ago.  Found the cache, wandered around and then spotted several hummingbirds enjoying the nectar of these flowers. 

This one was the best of the bunch I took that day.  I was actually surprised that the birds allowed me to get as close to them as I did.  Usually hummingbirds are very skittish and won't let you get so close.

I'd still like to get a faster zoom or fixed telephoto lens, one that would stop the motion of the bird's wings, but that's going to cost some big bucks down the road and the only way I'm going to come up with that kind of money would be to find out Willy Wonka's greatest candy making secret.

Wait a minute.  I was Willy Wonka.  I should know this.  In fact, I do.  Because Willy Wonka's greatest candy making secret is.......

that it's still a secret.  Shhhhhh.  No one's supposed to know, but it wouldn't surprise me if flower nectar was somehow involved.

13 comments:

  1. See, now you're blogging, Paul! Love it!

    As for that zoom lens... I'm not sure with your brand of camera, but a decent Canon one will only set you back about 600 for a 70-200 F4. I say only... but that's in comparison of 1500 for the 2.8, which, for the record, I was going to buy until I had to invest in a new camera.

    As for Willy's secret... it's for sale at a car dealership where Charlie Bucket is working. I hear he'll take a trade in for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using a Sony Alpha 100 for about five years now or so. I'm waiting, mainly because I know the camera's not going to last forever and that has to be the priority in the near future.

      As for that Bucket. I knew he'd squeal eventually.

      Delete
    2. I was at the same point with my Canon 7D. It was at the end of the line, so went with the new camera. Lens will have to wait a bit longer.

      Delete
    3. Yeah. I really like my Sony, but I know it's going to go down sooner as opposed to later. I have a nice telephoto lens, but it's slow (5.6). I have a great 50mm lens at 1.4.

      Delete
  2. That is an INCREDIBLE picture. How stunning!

    But even better? The fact that you played Willy Wonka. You are FAMOUS!!!! I bet that was incredible! Do you have a family photo of you in a costume??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the entire play on a VCR tape. I don't believe there are any still photos around of me in my top hat and purple jacket though.

      Delete
    2. You should get it turned into a digital format and put on YouTube. Just saying. :)

      I've been thinking about doing that with some things we did in college and recorded. Some fun stuff.

      Delete
    3. I'm pretty sure that if I digitized that it might violate some copyright laws. Oops. Probably don't want to do that.

      Delete
  3. Give into the madness of the Chill Challenge Paul! When it doesn't make sense, it will all make sense. *grins and chuckles to self*

    I agree about the camera thing. I carry mine with me at all times too. You never know when that "perfect" shot will appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to visualize the madness that is the Chill.

      Delete
  4. Good one! And that's a great picture of the hummingbird. What is the flower he is enjoying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much and to be honest with you, I'm not sure what kind of flower that is.

      Delete