Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Organizing - Day 13 of the Chill

I really need to do a better job of organizing my photos.  Although I enjoy taking photos, keeping them organized in a systematic way has proven way too time consuming for me and so they're just on my computer by date.  It's not necessarily the most practical way of organizing things, but so far it works.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the way my photos are organized on my computer.  I looked in the photo album and the folders inside that album are not in chronological order.  2001 might be next to 2007.  You get the picture. 

This could prove problematic down the road as my next major photo purchase, which I have alluded to earlier is going to be a slide scanner.  Most of my parent's family photos during the 50s and 60s were taken with a Kodak Instamatic, using slide film.  I'd like to scan all of those before they deteriorate too much more as there's a lot of family history that needs to be preserved.

I've got to come up with a better way of organizing my photos.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

The photo that I chose for this particular writing prompt really doesn't have anything to do with organization other than it's the third time in the last three years that we've gone up to the mountains to visit my father-in-law over Christmas break and then gone down to the lakeside to feed the ducks and geese.  That tends to suggest that there's some kind of organizational work going on in our family lives.  Certain traditions are hard to break.

6 comments:

  1. At least storage is more compact in the digital age. Within my own photo folder I have sub folders of I, II, III, IV and so on. Then I changed to using 11, 12, 14. That really wasn't working because they were just random, but chronological pictures with no other rhyme or reason. Now I do by seasons, Summer 2014, Winter 2014 and have folders for special things like trips, St. Pete 2014, Pennsylvania 2014 for example. Like any other aspect of organizing, it is continually changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have something similar to your summer of 2014, but I'm not sure that's the best way to do things for me. Individual folders for specific trips seems to be working quite well however.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that photo. I am currently looking for a new camera... I have enough saved to do 1000 and a bit more for a GOOD distance lens. Picking the right one is HARD! And my photos are SO not organized.... ACK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've often been asked what I would grab first if the house was on fire. I used to say the photo drawers, but now I'd have to add the computer along with the photo drawers.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean about organizing photos. I need to work on this as I want to eventually get them all organized, as well as have a backup archive by year. It would make me feel a lot better and more secure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God. Don't even get me started on a back up archive.

      Delete