Monday, January 12, 2015

What is “chill” and how do I do it? - Day 6 of the Chill

For those of you following along, the 20 days of Chill Writing challenge only happens Monday through Friday, which is why there weren't any posts this weekend. The second reason why I haven't posted this weekend was because I was busy.  7 of us took a road trip to Escondido on Saturday for some geocaching, hiking and other frivolity.  A good day was had by all and I believe I ended up with 31 cache finds.

Moving on with the prompt of the day.  What is "chill" and how do I do it?  Maybe more important, do I care whether I do it or not?  I'm under the impression that "chill" means different things to different people, so does it really matter what I think chill means?

People in most parts of the world probably associate chill with cold.  I've always associated chill with being relaxed.  Chill out dude.  I could always use more of that chill as I've always been pretty high strung about a lot of different things?  NO???  REALLY?  

I believe I'm less high strung than I used to be.  That still hasn't helped my blood pressure much, but I'm working on that.  Then again, maybe it has helped my blood pressure.  So, I'll address what relaxes me, mainly because that's my chill.  Hmmm.  Things that relax me.

Good music.  Pachelbell's Canon in D.  Mozart.  Beethoven.  Vivaldi.   

Roadtripping.  I like to drive and it relaxes me.  Getting in the car and just driving somewhere, preferably with a view of some kind is what I find very relaxing.  I live within two hours of three national parks, Death Valley, Joshua Tree and Channel Islands, and within 6 hours of three other national parks, Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite.  Put me in any of those places, in a tent and enough food to last me for a couple of days and I'll probably come out of it at the other end pretty chill.

And I will be the first to admit that this challenge is not chilling me at all.  I look at some of the prompts and thing to myself, "Self, now what the hell am I going to write about in response to that one?"  And this is just that.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't write about something like this at all.  Not my style.  But I guess that's part of the game.  And so it goes.

The photo is from Bryce Canyon National Park.  I've been there 3 times.  I could go again and again.  It is my second favorite national park next to Yosemite.  There's not nearly as much to do there as there is in Yosemite, but I just can't get enough of those hoodoo formations.  Plus the hiking down amongst them is something that I just love to do.

And now I need to think about how I'm going to formulate something about 10 hotdogs.  That's not getting me to chill at all.

10 comments:

  1. I'm not much for camping but the idea of the parks and scenery sounds really peaceful and quite conducive to proper chilling out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our kids were young, camping was about all we could afford. My wife doesn't camp, so I ended up taking the kids by myself. Lot of good bonding happened on those trips.

      Delete
  2. Some of my BEST chill time has been spent hiking through the woods. There is NOTHING like getting out there and finding geocaches. I love getting out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We had a 10 mile geocaching hike on Saturday. Great way to relax, in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Paul, I think you are actually enjoying the challenge - admit it! Yes, it is totally unlike any other challenges. No rules allows for more creativity.

    Your Bryce Canyon image is frame worthy. I love Yosemite in the winter, esp. skiing at Badger Pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tami. That Bryce Canyon image is on one of my business cards.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you explained "chill"-I didn't understand at first!

    This shouldn't stress you out :( You've brought forth some wonderful memories so far-with some beautiful photos.

    Hot dogs must = kids at some point in time? That should be a fun memory!

    thanks for letting us see a little of you through your most relaxing times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm overemphasizing the stressful part of this Lisa. This is the first time where I've written a blog on consecutive days like this ever. Seems more stressful than it really is. Actually, it's pretty easy to write down one's thoughts about the day. It's more making time than anything else.

      Delete
  5. I'm so jealous of your closeness to national parks. I truly wish I lived closer to good ones. I need to try and get to Acadia again next fall. I love that place when the colors hit. As for the challenge -- I think you're doing fine with it. It's what blogging is all about!

    And Canon -- my favorite classical piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already decided that if I could retire to anyplace in the world, I'd retire to Salt Lake City. No, I'm not Morman, but if you look at a map, you'll understand. From Salt Lake City, you are one day's drive away from 14 national park and only two day's drive away from 9 or 10 more.

      If you want to be close to National Parks, Salt Lake City is the place to be.

      And no, I'm not that stressed about it. I'm keeping a day ahead of the schedule, so it's working out fine. Just never done something like this before.

      Delete