Friday, January 16, 2015

The morning after - Day 10 of the Chill

It's Friday and with this post I'm halfway through the Chill challenge.  To be perfectly honest, I never expected to see me get this far.  I have had some nice encouragement from different quarters, some bloggers and some friends of mine who have been nice enough to post something, either here or on Facebook, that has helped keep me going.  So I thank you for that.

Besides writing to the prompt, I've also kept in the back of my head that I wanted to tie the prompt in with different photos that I've taken.  Some, I think, I've been pretty successful in tying in, while others (yesterday's post comes to mind) I don't think I've been quite as successful.

Today's prompt, the morning after, can have a lot of different meanings to a lot of different people.  Yeah, that's pretty wishy washy, but it's the best I can come up with.  I have to admit that every time I've seen the prompt, Maureen McGovern's song from the original Poseidon Adventure keeps running through my head.  Look up the video and you'll see a pretty amazing cast in this movie.

The lyrics for the first two verses, written by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn speak about love getting through the night and about the journey the people in the Poseidon had to make to get out alive.

There's got to be a morning after
If we can hold on through the night
We have a chance to find the sunshine
Let's keep on looking for the light.

Oh, can't you see the morning after
It's waiting right outside the storm.
Why don't we cross the bridge together
And find a place that's safe and warm.

Originally, the song's title was called, Why must there be a morning after?  Either way, reading the words, or thinking about either title, I think the song takes on an entirely different meaning when juxtaposed along with the photo I've chosen to tie in to this prompt.

Comments as always are welcome.

6 comments:

  1. Pretty powerful ways of looking at things, Paul. Homeless people always shake me and makes me wonder what they think in Washington ... worrying about other things when we should worry about our own people. I always admire your ability to shoot things like this scene as I never seem to have the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P.J. I haven't always enjoyed street photography, but I've gotten braver the older I've gotten.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations for staying with the challenge. They are always fun...this is my 4th. I see what you mean about the song/lyrics and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I'm enjoying myself with this challenge.

      Delete
  3. That image truly captures 1,000 words.

    ReplyDelete