Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Favorite article of clothing for the winter - Day 8 of the Chill

On day 2 of this challenge, I mentioned how we really don't get much winter here in Southern California.  It's a blessing and a curse.  The blessing is we can wear shorts pretty much all year long, or at least most days.  Yeah, we get our occasional bad spot of weather, but it's usually not that bad.  And therein lies the curse.

Since 1955 it has rained a grand total of 2 times on the Rose Parade in Pasadena that is held every year on New Year's Day, or January 2nd if New Year's Day falls on a Sunday.  Two freaking times.  Both times, the grand marshall of the parade was a Supreme Court Justice - 1955, Earl Warren and 2006, Sandra Day O'Connor.  OK, let's think about this.  Two times it's rained, both times the courts have been involved.  I think the Rose Parade Committee will be smart enough never to invite another Supreme Court Justice to be Grand Marshall again.

But that brings me back to my main point.  It's always perfect weather on New Year's Day.  Here's the thought process that probably goes on in households in the midwest on that day, where it's probably snowing and the temperature is hovering somewhere south of 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

"Martha!!  Come quick!!  They're wearing shorts again at the Rose Parade."

"I'll be damned, they are!"

"That's it Martha, we're moving to California this year!"

And the population swells again.  Sigh.

But what does this have to do with the prompt for today?  Nothing except to give you an idea that I don't really have a favorite article of clothing in the winter, with the exception of socks in bed.  My wife wears socks all the time as she's always cold, so most of the time she wears socks.  In the last couple of years, I've decided that wearing socks to bed isn't such a bad idea, especially when you have to get up in the middle of the night and walk across hardwood floors.  

So yeah, let's hear it for socks - my favorite article of clothing for the winter.  Oh yeah, and for the next 8 years, we're going to have a Supreme Court Justice as Grand Marshall of the Rose Parade, so you can stop moving here.  We have too many people out here as it is.

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha that is hysterical!!!!! I used to wear socks at night. Now the dogs just lay all over me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy. I kick the dog to her side of the bed. I don't want an animal that close to me when I sleep.

      Delete
  2. I have worn socks to bed but usually end up taking them off halfway through the night when I warm up. I love having the cats sleep on the bed, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the dog lying on the bed. My wife does and so it happens, although it was interesting that our first two dogs never got on the bed, ever. This dog is just spoiled.

      Delete
  3. Socks are an important part to any winter weather outfit. For those of us who deal with winters, though, it usually is important to keep feet warm inside our boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but in shorts weather in the winter, socks are the epitome of fashion when one goes to bed. It keeps the tootsies warm late at night.

      Delete