Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Favorite Winter Comfort Food - Day 2 of the Chill

This is an interesting topic to be talking about for day two of the Chill challenge.  I'm not exactly sure what winter comfort food really is, mainly because we don't get much of a winter compared to other regions in the United States or in the world for that matter.

The weathermen in Southern California could "predict" the weather as "Sunny and mild" every day and be right probably 75% of the time.  In my book, that's a pretty good track record for weather guessers.  Winter, the way most people view winter, doesn't happen here.

So comfort food is, to me anyway, things that I don't get on a regular basis during the year, mainly because it's either not very good for me, or too expensive, or just ridiculous.  Christmas time is always the time for all of us in the family to get some really good stuff, just because. That's what ends up stuffing our stockings every year.  It's gotten to the point that our stocking stuffers take up grocery bags, because my wife goes all out with it.

Things that usually end up in my stocking are Oreo Cookies, Pop Tarts, Clamato Juice (don't judge me, I like it), bunches of Heath Toffee bars, boxes of Junior Mints and York Peppermint Patties and Pringles Potato Chips.  Sometimes if I'm really lucky, I'll get a can of Macadamian nuts.  See? All the things that aren't really good for me, but that I love tremendously.  Once all of those things are gone, then Christmas is really over.

Needless to say, I've been rationing things this year, so Christmas isn't over, even though I went back to work yesterday.  I still have half a bag of York Peppermint Patties and an entire package of mint Oreo Cookies.  And my youngest better hide his stash, because I've been eyeing his Triple Decker Oreo Cookies that landed in his stocking.  


8 comments:

  1. That's quite a haul. No wonder you need a shopping bag for your stocking stuffers. I do something similar for my husband...on a much smaller scale, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. The stockings get hung by the chimney with care, but never get anything in them because they'd stretch and break if they did.

      Delete
  2. In recent months, the sweets are things I usually avoid, so when I get the chance to spoil myself, I have the same feelings you do. Those Oreo's look pretty good. And I like that you have them next to milk! The candy you get, too, is awesome! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, truth be told, the colors in the Oreos are photoshopped in there. I wanted to get a rainbow effect to the shot.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha I still have candy from my stocking.... I'm trying to make it last! I remember as a child we would get some cool things in our stockings but there was always an orange and whole walnuts. We were always like "mannnnnnnn!" I think my parents always had that so we did too... a neat tradition but we didn't appreciate it at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the one thing that I got in my stocking when I was younger that I don't get now was a roll of film. I always got several rolls of film tucked into the bottom of the stocking.

      Delete
  4. I just read your "About Me" and it cracked me up! A history/computer science teacher to hormonally schizophrenic junior high schoolers.

    Anyhoo, wish I could still tolerate candies and cookies. My poisons would be any and all on your list. I didn't know they had multi-colored filling on Oreos ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have multi-colored Oreos. I did a little PhotoShop magic to get my rainbow effect.

      Delete