Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Awkward Dinner Party - Day 17 of the Chill

Thinking about this prompt, I thought I might want to take a bunch of people from the past and put them all at the dinner table and see where it went.  One would think that it might get awkward putting Jesus Christ at the same dinner table as Thomas Jefferson, but actually, I think those two might get along fairly well.

So then, how might I get a better mix of people to create the ultimate awkward dinner party.  Then it hit me.  Just pick some random people off of the Internet from a social media site and have them come together for just one night.  The only requirement would be, I get to set the dinner conversations.  That would work.

All I'd have to do is throw out one political or social football, like abortion, or Obamacare or the death penalty the rest would be just entertaining to watch.  See?  That's where the problem lies.  I'm sorry if this is becoming redundant, but it just seems like people forget common decency and societal norms when they get on social media.

Even though my parents didn't outright tell me, I knew about the three things that you just didn't discuss in polite society: Religion, Sex, and Politics, or any combination of those, which might be all three sometimes.  Granted, I'm speaking in generalities here, but we seem to have lost our moral and social filters when it comes to social media.  We feel we can just post whatever we want and we don't care who the hell we piss off.

And the sad part is, when most people post stuff, either they're looking for someone to troll, so they can pontificate their side more and bring in other like thinking people, or they actually think they're going to convince the other side to change their own though process.  

Newsflash.  You're not going to convert anyone and all it's going to accomplish is to get every one just madder at the other side.  And for what purpose?  As far as I can see, there is not real purpose that's going to have any positive outcome.  It's probably one of the reasons that I try not to get pulled into political discussions.  Notice that I said try, because sometimes I don't succeed in avoiding the discussion.

However, from now on, I'm just going to avoid them all together.  It's not worth my blood pressure and I have better things to do than to validate someone else's viewpoint that I already agree with, or argue with someone who's not going to change their opinion just because I think I can convince them that they're wrong.  I already know the answer to that one.  I'm not.

7 comments:

  1. This past summer the whole family, extended as well, spent a week together at the beach house. On the FIRST night someone starts a debate about the Redskins name. I ended up having to walk in to the kitchen to "start cleaning." I was NOT going there because there were many DIFFERENT feelings on the subject. Yup... some may say I chickened out but I say I was SMART!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I might have participated in that discussion, but I can see where it just could get nasty really quickly.

      Delete
    2. Katherine, I think you were smart.

      Delete
  2. I have gotten pulled into a discussion on a hot topic at the time, and yes, my opinion is the right one - of course. I learned that it is like banging your head against a brick wall and the brick wall has more sense, but I gave up and stopped notifications on that post and unfollowed (NOT unfriended) the person hosting the discussion. I have nothing against the person but I don't want to see or be part of that sort of thing.

    That said, I think your idea on this topic is interesting. I think a lot of folks would like to have Jesus and/or Jefferson at their table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      For whatever reason, I've tried to unfollow someone for several weeks to no avail. I'm about ready to unfriend the person, because I'm tired of reading the crap he posts up all the time. I did unfriend another person once when he went on a rampage over something and said, "Oh, BTW, if you believe this, unfriend me." I didn't have to think twice on that one.

      As far as Jefferson and Jesus at the same table. I don't think that one would be awkward at all. Jefferson was quite the man of contradictions. Pretty much an agnostic/atheist, yet had quite a deep religiosity. Wrote the Declaration of Independence which states that all men are created equal and also thought slavery was wrong, yet the man owned slaves. I think he and Jesus would have a very spirited conversation and it would be quite enlightening to watch.

      Delete
  3. I know where you are coming from. I can't standing seeing political/religious discussions and I dislike getting into them even more. I have my own beliefs and such, but they are mine. And I know people rarely switch (me included), so why even bother trying to argue it? I have also done the unfollow thing on many people on Facebook so I don't have to read them. And, every once in a while, I visit their feeds to see what else is up. I respect people's rights to be vocal and express opinions, but I also respect my own right to not have to read it or get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears we are pretty much in agreement with this one.

      Delete