Monday, March 25, 2013

Road trip

The nice thing about Spring Break is it lends itself well to short little road trips.  A couple of years ago, my friend Jim and I went on a three day whirlwind road trip to the Colorado River.  It was a pure geocaching experience.  We took I-10 eastbound to Blythe where we camped right on the river, then the next day we took several different roads south, eventually ending up in Yuma, AZ where we spent the night, then took I-8 home the next day.  

This week, I'm planning a solo trip up to the Bay Area to visit my daughter, whose birthday is this upcoming Friday.  The plan it for us to spend Friday doing all sorts of touristy things in San Francisco while celebrating her birthday.  I've been told by several people that the weather isn't going to hold out and we may get rain by this weekend, which will kind of suck, but I'm sure we'll find something to do even if we get rained out.  

Yes, I'll be geocaching on the way up and the way down and maybe in the middle too.  I may even guest lecture in my daughter's 5th grade class this week, although that's still up in the air at the moment. Right now, I'm planning my route north.  Since this is a road trip, the purpose is to avoid the Interstate as much as possible.  As the renowned reporter Charles Kurault once said, "You can travel clear across the country on the Interstates without seeing a thing."  

Back roads are where you find the good spots, the scenic spots and the well thought out geocaches.  I agree with my friend Jim who said that if Charles Kurault had lived to see geocaching, he probably would have been a geocacher.

4 comments:

  1. Of course that means going up Rt 101, a good place to stop is Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa founded in 1772 by Father Junípero Serra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gone up the 101 many times in the past and have been there. Most of the missions along El Camino Real, I've visited at one time or the other.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a nice, fun weekend. And, of course, adding the geocaching to the trip helps make it better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geocaching always adds to any of my trips. One of the reasons why I like it so much. ;-)

      Delete