Friday, December 27, 2013

Weather Part 2

I comment from time to time on the weather in Southern California, but I normally refrain from saying too much about it during this time of the year.  Why?  Mainly because I believe it's the Rose Parade's fault that we have so many people living here in California today.

I'm a perfect example of it I guess.  Although I consider myself a Californian, I wasn't born here, rather was transported here by my parents in the early 60s much like many of the kids I went to school with at the time.

My 5th grade teacher Mrs. Packard, on the first day of school, brought out a map of the United States, then proceeded to name every state and ask us to raise our hands when she came to the state where we were born.  She started in Maine where she was born, and went across to California.  Allen Schoff and I raised our hands when Indiana was called.  Of the 27 or so children in the class, I believe there was one person who raised his or her hand when the last state, California was called.  California was a state of immigrants from other states at the time.

I believe that every January 1st, the weather gods smile down upon Pasadena, California.  It has to be since we've only had two years in the last 60+ years where it's rained on the Rose Parade.  Every year, people back in the midwest and east coast huddle inside their houses while it's snowing outside and it's 20 degrees and they watch the Rose Parade, live from Pasadena.  The conversation goes something like this.

"Henry!"

"What Martha?"

"Come and watch the parade with me."

"Look Martha.  They're wearing shorts again on January 1st.  That's it, we're moving to California!"

And the population of California inches up again.  So why do I tell this story?  Because I'm posting something that might encourage people to move out here.  My last post dealt with the Yahoo Weather App where I'd submitted photos to be included in the weather app.  The screen shot shows one of my photos on the main page of the weather app for Pasadena, a shot that I took just before Thanksgiving this year of Pasadena's city hall.  For all of you back east, please don't look at the temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Just seeing something that says 84 is crazy. I drove home the other night and it was -15 on my car thermometer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's been freakishly warm around here recently. We've had some cold nights, relatively speaking, but nothing what you're getting.

    ReplyDelete