Monday, January 25, 2016

Vacation

My wife and I communicate pretty well I feel, but there was one area that we really didn't talk about a lot before we got married and that was how we would vacation.  I grew up camping.  My family went camping just about every summer.  I have fond memories of the trips we took as kids to various national parks in the western United States and I wanted to impart that love of nature to our children.

Well, it wasn't until my wife and I were on our honeymoon that I found out that she didn't like to camp.  Oops.  But for us, it has worked out all right.  When the kids were growing up, I'd take them camping and it was a lot of fun. I got to enjoy the kids just by myself, we got to do things that we enjoyed doing, and my wife got a little "me" time where she didn't have to think about cooking for anyone else except her.  The nice thing about it is, even though we disagree on our vacation time, we've made this work for us.  

The kids and I even started our own tradition where we'd take a photo of our campsite every where we camped.  We've missed a couple of spots, either just because we forgot, or once because of a  faulty camera, but for the most part, we have a photo for each campsite we've camped in over the years.  This particular one is from Redwood National Park, taken when my youngest was entering high school.

Now that the kids are grown and pretty much out on their own, the camping has diminished.  I have a couple of buddies who enjoy camping and we'll get out for a week or so in the summertime.  That's all I really need to recharge my batteries.  But I suspect that my vacation time in the next couple of years will slowly shift away from "campsite 124" alongside a stream to a little bit nicer site, like Room 124 in a high rise hotel where I can enjoy some time with my wife. And that's OK with me.

6 comments:

  1. That's great you guys made it work for you. That's what matters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Too many times, I see the little things that break down a marriage. This wasn't deal breaker at all. People think we're weird for taking separate vacations, but if it works, why fix it?

      Delete
  2. I love being out in nature, but when the day is done, I like going somewhere, showering and having a comfy bed. I am just not one with camping and never really have been. I'm not saying I won't try it again, but the experiences I've had haven't been the best. Either way, glad things worked out well for you over the years. Memories are always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years, the kids didn't seem to enjoy it as much save the youngest. He'll still camp with me and we're planning our trip this summer when we go and look at college campuses.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful experiences you had with your kids - so many memories, many captured in pictures. I've never been camping, preferring the A/C (or heat) to being at nature's mercy, and a comfy bed to sleeping bag and tent. Howeve. a part of me thinks that it might be interesting, maybe, for a day or two...in a camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up, we always pulled a 18 foot trailer behind our station wagon. I've never felt the need for that, but I might go as far as doing a tent trailer sometime. Too much convenience of home. Part of the fun is roughing it, in my opinion.

      Delete