Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Summer rain

The prompt for the 20 days of Chill for today is summer rain.  I had to laugh at that since I live in Southern California and we don't get summer rains.  P.J. noted that summer rain is a bummer because it wipes out baseball games.  I think the local teams, the Angels and the Dodgers have been rained out less times in the last fifty years than I have fingers on my hands, combined.

So what to write about today?  Well, how about summer rain?  I've been camping enough times that I've been able to experience summer rains.  My youngest son and I went to the Grand Canyon and had thunderstorms every single day that we were there.  It was quite an experience.  

Although it's not rain, when my wife and I honeymooned in the middle of July in Oregon, Crater Lake received a foot of snow on the day before we got there.  It made for some really nice shots, which I have on slide film and need to scan and digitize one of these days.

I even got sprinkled on when I took this shot in Bodie, California at the state historic park that surrounds this old ghost town.  Even though I don't usually see summer rains very often where I live, I have experienced them enough elsewhere, that I can honestly say I like them.  It makes for some really striking photos in my opinion.

6 comments:

  1. Nice ghost town image. I would like to visit a ghost town, never seen one before. Summer rain can give you a bit of space to be creative with peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. This place, is rather crowded, but you can still get some good shots without all of the people clutter that are normally associated with touristy places.

      Delete
  2. I agree. The rain can open up a whole new environment to take photos. Right after a summer rain I love to get out and take pictures with the rain drops still on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to take photos with raindrops on flowers. The song, my favorite things, is very apropos here.

      Delete
  3. You say you like the summer rains now... but you don't deal with them often. Have a summer of rain where it happens way too much and you'll change your tune! If it's the right summer, though, it can be pretty nice at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer rain is very foreign to me. Probably why I like it. Probably why I don't like snow. ;-)

      Delete