Friday, January 22, 2016

Can you hear me?

I probably talk about the idiosyncrasies of where I work and what I do probably way too much, but over the past 33 years, I've liked what I do.  Let's face it.  How many people do you know who teach the hormonally schizophrenic on a daily basis?  That's right.  In case you didn't know it, I teach middle school, 6th, 7th and 8th grade.

Over the years I've seen gradual changes in my school's population as well as their overall attention span and general attitude.  The photo, although it doesn't show middle schoolers, probably sums it up from my standpoint.  Two guys, probably friends, based upon how close they're sitting next to each other, are totally absorbed by what they're doing and not interacting with each other at all.

This is what I think most of my students do every weekend.  They are so absorbed in their video games, computer and You-Tube channels that they literally never interact with another person/friend of theirs until they come back on Monday morning.

How I can tell this is loosely based on anecdotal evidence.  My first period class, comes into class after a break, be it a weekend, Thanksgiving break, or Winter break and they literally are screaming at each other.  Can you hear me?  They have no volume control, nor would they really want it.  They're two feet away from each other and screaming.  Can you hear me now?

Cell phones, etc., are powerful tools, but I really think they are robbing our children of their childhood.  And consequently, these children will have difficulties dealing with real life situations, because they really don't know how to react to people on a personal level, outside of screaming.  That's my two cents on the subject.

4 comments:

  1. That scenario is so far removed from when I went to school, but then like you said, the gadgets are largely responsible. I think the parents are also responsible for not providing boundaries and guidelines. That's my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Our own children did not get a cell phone until they got to high school as that was the first time we felt that they really needed it for communication. Before high school, they were either attending my school or my wife's school, so we felt there was no need. Only one has felt the need to upgrade to a smartphone thus far.

      Delete
  2. As a mom of a high school junior and a middle schooler, I agree with the above statement. Parents need to put restrictions around the use and access to phones and the internet. It is information overload online. But, at the same time, I think that it is important to expose our children to that technology as it is the way the world is going. It's a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The balancing act is the problem.

      Delete