Thursday, October 31, 2013

Photo Blogging Challenge (October 2013): Fall

Well, I guess I'm getting a little better this month as this represents my fourth post of the month.  Double last month's posts, so I'll just have to give myself a pat on the back for that and hope that I can do better next month.

This month, PJ proposed the monthly challenge of Fall, so here are my entries for the theme, all taken in October.

1.  Fall Flowers

My neighbor down the street has an incredible front yard garden.  He grows all sorts of seasonal fruits and vegetables throughout the year.  Every year around this time, these flowers show up, so I call them Fall Flowers.  I have no idea what kind of flowers they are and every time I'm near his house, he's never out so I can ask him what kind these are.  I've been fortunate enough to photograph these a number of years in a row.  Last year, I got a shot that reminded me of something out of Alice in Wonderland.  This shot actually reminds me a little bit of it as well.

2.   Lucy

Lucy, or the lack of Lucky is a harbinger of fall.  I've featured Lucy before in this blog as well in photos, but this one definitely represents fall.  Lucy is a California Desert Tortoise, one that I've had a permit for ever since I got her over 10 years ago.  I can't release her back into the wild, mainly because tortoises that are in the wild tend to have respiratory ailments that they could pass on to the wild species.  

Lucy lives in our back yard and usually is out in the early spring, summertime and early fall, but right around this time she disappears into her burrow for good and we'll not see her again until sometime next March when it warms up for good.  I saw her a couple of day after I took this shot, but I'm pretty sure she's underground for good, hibernating until spring comes.

3.  The lone leaf

The next two shots are a couple that probably represent a traditional fall shot.  I found this leaf lying on these parkway rocks and like the way it looked, with the contrast of mostly grey rocks and bright yellow color of the leaf.

For the most part, our fall actually lasts a long time in Southern California.  We don't really get that cold, cold snap of air that most trees need to drop their leaves.  I have deciduous trees in my side yard and are still quite green and will be green for several more weeks. 

While we wait for some brief moments of color, further north, the leaves have all dropped and snow is starting to fall.  This leaf just tells us that it's getting a little cooler here.

4.  The first storm

Here's another traditional "fall" type shot of colored leaves.  I did not take this particularly for the leaves, but more for the storm that passed through earlier this week.  The nice thing about fall here is we can have just about any kind of temperatures during the week and it will all seem perfectly normal.  Earlier this week, when this storm went through, the high was a very crisp 56 degrees.  I can all hear the snorts of derision over that, especially for those who live in northern climes.  

Anyway, this storm that moved through our area, dropped temperatures significantly, as it had been in the 80s the week before.  It dropped some much needed rain and we had a light dusting of snow on the mountains at the higher elevations.  This is what our weather is like in the fall.  Mild, with an occasional cold front storm that will move through the area.

5.  Family Fall Festival

Last night, our school held its annual Family Fall Festival.  This year, the various clubs on campus were also invited to participate.  I advise the Photo Club on our campus, so we had a table set up where we could give information out to parents and students who were possibly interested in our club.  There was a gaming truck out in the front of the school.  Food and popcorn was being sold.

This year, the theme was at the movies and each club decided to represent a different movie.  Members from various clubs dressed up as characters from Grease, Despicable Me, Sandlot, and others.  The photo club took this theme a different way and decided they wanted to be paparazzi at a movie premiere.  One of my students took over 140 shots on her camera and I counted at least 7 or 8 other students all with their cameras having a good time being paparazzi. 

Many costumes were seen last night and I particularly liked these outfits worn by a couple of students.  The Cat in the Hat would have been so proud.

Well, there's my entries for this month.  Please head on over to PJ's blog to see other blogger's interpretations of fall.

17 comments:

  1. Great photos! I think those flowers may well be dahlias. We once had a garden full of all kinds of dahlias. Some as large as dinner plates. It was a beautiful site. Unfortunately, they wont grow where we live now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I shall have to look up dahlias to see whether they are the flowers. Thanks for the information.

      Delete
  2. Great shots. I'v gotta go with "lone leaf" as my favourite. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's probably my favorite of this set as well.

      Delete
  3. "Earlier this week, when this storm went through, the high was a very crisp 56 degrees."

    HAHAHA. Crisp? That's a good one, Paul! :) Our crisp fall days are in the 30s. ;)

    Anyway, another great set of photos. Truly love that top photo. Great details and color on it. The one with the leaves and the storm is excellent, too. And the tortoise-- how cool.

    Nice job again! I'm actually excited to see what you do for next month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks P.J. Temperatures in the 30s happen after winter storms and the storm has cleared out. No clouds to keep the warmth in and the temps plummet. But those are only overnight lows. I can count probably on one hand the number of times it's actually gotten into the 20s here and I've been keeping temperature records for close to 28 years.

      Delete
  4. Love Lucy the tortoise! Do you worry about her when she hibernates? Sometimes pet tortoises don't survive the winter here, so people have to find them and bring them inside in straw-filled boxes, but I suppose your climate is kinder than ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do that with their desert tortoises as well out here. I figure if they survive like that in the wild, then they should survive just find in my backyard.

      One time, I did think we'd lost her. Two days before Christmas we had a deluge of rain and as I was looking outside my family room window watching the rain fall, I noticed the entrance to her burrow entirely submerged in water. I figured she was gone, drowned by all that rain. I forgot that tortoises build their burrows with rain in mind and each entrance actually goes down, then back up again, much like a trap on a sink, which prevents water from entering the main part of the burrow. Two days later on Christmas day, I spotted her sunning herself under one of our orange trees.

      Delete
  5. Ha ha ha ha that turtle looks PISSED! LOLOL!!!!! Those are FANTASTIC pictures.... you are an incredible photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine. That's actually her standard look.

      Delete
  6. I love that first photo of the flowers, it's really gorgeous. And I love the commentary on every photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos, Paul. I particularly like numbers 1 and 4. The blue sky contrasting with the flowers is gorgeous. I like how you framed the leaves in 4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a turtle living in your yard? How awesome! My Golden Retriever would love to play. :) I love the flowers in the first shot. They remind me more of the Return to Wonderland flick with Johnny Depp. And I had no idea Southern CA temps dipped that low. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I have other shots of those flowers where it really reminds me of Wonderland as well, but I took them several years ago, so they wouldn't count for this monthly challenge. The temps in California are really pretty moderate. If it gets that cold here, it doesn't stay that cold, usually just for a week or so before it warms back up again.

      Delete
  9. Hi Paul - That flower photo at the top of your post is terrific. The juxtaposition of the fading one and the fresh one against the out-of-focus background is a terrific composition. Not to say that the rest of the images aren't great, too - but that one is my favourite of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete