Saturday, February 14, 2015

An Affair to Remember

28 years ago today I made the smartest decision I've ever made in my life.  I asked my girlfriend to marry me, and amazingly, with all she knew about me, she said yes.

For whatever reason, I am amazingly blessed to have a wife who puts up with all my foibles.  She said to me this morning that she wondered why I put up with her, but I actually think it's the other way around.  I know myself all too well, and I don't think I'd like to live with me for very long, yet she's done it now for 27+ years.  That's pretty remarkable.

During that time, we've lived in an apartment, and purchased three different houses, always upsizing to go along with our expanding family.  Interestingly, our first house was a brand new house and the other two houses we've owned since then have been increasingly older.  

Our three children have gone to school here in town, graduated.  Two of them have graduated from college and have full time jobs in Northern California.  Our youngest is still in college taking some very interesting classes, some of which I would have avoided when I was in college, but would love to take today.

Early last year, I took a series of photos entitled "Grow Old with Me."  All of the photos feature my wife's left hand, for obvious reasons.  This particular shot was taken on Valentine's Day last year.  Grow Old with Me my Love.

2 comments:

  1. That is really sweet and I can totally relate. My hubby and I have been together 29 years and married almost 28. We often say we are perfect for each other because no one else would put up with either of us for very long. We don't always see things the same way, and sometimes I tell him he's weird, but then I am too. I had a quote a while back about weirdness.

    "We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love—true love."

    I think that explains a lot, and maybe your wife would appreciate that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. That quote pretty much nails it. My daughter says, the reason why she knows we'll always be together is, we both think we got the better end of the deal in our relationship. I cannot fathom why my wife would put up with me and she says her mom says the same thing about me.

      Delete