Monday, July 1, 2013

Let the harvest begin

I guess you could say I've become a gentleman farmer.  Not really, because I should never be confused for a gentleman in any stretch of the imagination, but I've at least had a pretty good run this year with my fruits and vegetables.  

The tomatoes are coming in rather nicely. One of the two plants growing upside down in the topsy turvy has already yielded several tomatoes that are the sweetest they can be. There are probably a dozen or more tomatoes on the vine all in various stages of ripeness.  

My only complaint thus far of this particular variety is the toughness of the skin.  Store bought tomatoes seem to have soft skin which isn't very chewy.  These tomatoes I'm growing seem to have a tougher skin, more chewy in nature.  I'm wondering if that's particular to the type of tomato I'm growing or the fact that they are being vine ripened as opposed to being picked way early the way store bought tomatoes are.  If anyone has an answer to that one, I'd appreciate it.


As far as the sunflowers go, they've been blooming pretty steadily this week.  If I remember correctly, my first blossom from two years ago showed up on July 1st and the last blossom came around the end of the month.  This pattern should hold true for this year's crop, although they've been blooming for about a week already this year. 

Most of the traditional yellow ones have started to bloom, but I knew that I'd also planted an orange variety and one of them finally bloomed today.  I'm not sure if the photo does the flower justice as it appears to be a more brownish color than it actually looks like in person, but that's the way digital images sometimes work.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty successful garden this year.  And I haven't even mentioned the nectarine tree that we planted three years ago.  The limbs on that are weighed down with fruit.  I love nectarines.

No comments:

Post a Comment