Monday, February 4, 2013

All over but the shouting

Once again, the Super Bowl is history.  As I noted last year around this time, the past couple of years have produced some very entertaining football games.  It seemed like in the 90s, most of the games were very lopsided.  This year was very similar to last couple of years however, with the game not being decided until very late in the game.

Monday morning quarterbacks will complain about non-calls in the end zone, or possibly blame the blackout, but one team won and the other team lost.  I also noted last year that if the game wasn't a good one, I hoped the commercials would be good.

This year, I didn't find many of the commercials that entertaining.  Perhaps it's because we've come to expect a certain level of commercial at Super Bowl time and when they don't deliver, we pass judgement quickly.  Or maybe, just maybe, advertisers have finally run out of ideas.  Did we really need to see full mouth on kisses like the one shown on the GoDaddy.com ad?  It was rated one of the lowest liked commercials of the Super Bowl and yet most people will continue to talk about it.  Isn't that what advertising is all about though?

There were a couple of funny ads.  I liked the old folks going out for Taco Bell.  I thought the Kia ad about where babies come from was entertaining.  My favorite commercial wasn't funny at all.  I probably liked it because it was so visually stimulating.  Dodge Ram truck used a speech by Paul Harvey and showed farm life throughout the 2 minute commercial, entitled, God Made a Farmer.  About 30 seconds into it, I just stopped what I was doing and watched, totally mesmerized by the images.  

I've watched it now three times and will probably watch it again.  I've already thought about ways that I could use the compositions of different shots into my own shots.  I guess that's what photographers do. - look at other people's work and try to emulate it.  If I can, at some time, produce images like are in this commercial, I shall be satisfied.  Until then, please feel free to enjoy it here.



I've included above a shot that I took on Saturday while out geocaching.  I think it fits the theme of the video quite nicely.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that ad, Paul. I had not seen that; in fact, I've not watched much TV at all over the past couple of months, and have seen very few ads, which is fine by me. But that's a good one :-)

    And here's a quote for yah: "There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." - Brendan Behan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Taco Bell ad was, by far, my favorite. Really funny.

    ReplyDelete