Sunday, June 17, 2012

The reason I can celebrate today

Father's Day, for me, is March 29th, 1989 the day my oldest was born, the day I became a father. That, in no way, diminishes my other two children in any way.  They just happened to be born after I was already a father, which is probably why we have a specific day set aside for Father's, which is celebrated today.

The back photo is of my wife and me, 25 years ago next month on our wedding day. The front photo is of my three children, probably one of my top five favorite photos of the three of them together. They were 11, 8 and 4 years old in this shot.

This was taken in July 2000, the last time we camped in Yosemite. By the expressions on their faces, you can tell it was after the hike was over and not before. My daughter is pointing to where we hiked, the top of Vernal Fall. It was a 3 mile round trip hike with 1000 feet of elevation gain. It's a tough hike along the Mist Trail.

The Mist Trail is called that, because it gets misted with spray from the waterfall all day. There's a hand rail to help guide you because it's also very slippery. Stair steps have been carved or created into the rock face as you climb up to the top of the fall.

Of course, just as we got to the top of the falls, my youngest decided that it was at that time he had to break free of my grasp on his hand and run toward the fall. Fortunately, the guardrails are heavily reinforced mesh to prevent such nightmares from happening, but it was one of the scariest moments I've had as a dad.

I have another shot of the three of them at the top, with the water flowing over the fall right behind them. You're literally that close to the brink when you get up there, a spectacular view.

We spent a full week in Yosemite that year, hiking, taking photos, and sightseeing. It was a wonderful trip and hopefully a memorable one for them, although I would suspect that my youngest, who is 16 now doesn't remember quite as much as the older two do. I do remember him saying at the time when we were looking at Half Dome that he wanted to climb it when he was older. Hmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly recognize Marsha, but whose is the guy in that picture with her? It doesn't look like anyone I know :-o Heh; I don't look much like I did 25 years ago, either, although Sharon hasn't really changed a whole lot.

    ReplyDelete