Thursday, May 14, 2015

An open letter

This is an open letter to the young man who almost caused my life and his own to change forever, neither for the better.

Dear young man,

If I were you, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that the older man in the van that you encountered this morning while riding your bike has decent peripheral vision.  Maybe you have already.  Hopefully that will change the way you chose to ride your bicycle so irresponsibly this morning.

First, you weren't wearing a helmet.  Had we hit, you would have been sent flying over your handlebars, probably over the hood of my car and then onto the pavement on the other side of my van.  At best, you'd come out with some bumps and bruises, but you could have gotten some serious brain damage or possibly some broken bones out of the deal.  I went over the handlebars of my bicycle when I was in 8th grade.  I got a concussion and a broken left arm out of the deal.  It could have been much worse, but probably not nearly as bad as if you'd hit me.  I only hit another bicycle.

You, on the other hand, could very easily have hit me.  I say hit me, because I would not have been at fault if you had.  For you see, when someone comes up to an intersection intending to make a right hand turn, they look left first, because that's where the traffic is coming from.  Usually drivers will look right once they start to make their turn into traffic.  That's where you came into the situation.

Yeah, you were in the bike lane, but you were traveling down the street the wrong way in the bike lane.  You were traveling south in a northbound bike lane.  That's just asking for trouble and you almost got a lot of it if I hadn't seen you a split second before I really hit the gas and accelerated.  Had I not seen you out of the corner of my eye, you could have easily been hamburger meat.

Now, I doubt that you'll ever see this and I actually wished my window had been rolled down so I could have yelled a couple of choice words at you as you rode away.  Maybe those words would have helped drive home the message.  I hope you got the crap scared out of you.  I hope you start to wear you helmet, but if you don't, at least ride on the correct side of the road.  If you don't, the next driver might not be as quick as I was.

As I stated at the top, both of our lives could have changed a lot this morning.  Fortunately, they didn't, but perhaps that little scare will change you a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. See, now people like this are nuts. I am all about making sure to take an extra peek for bikers/motorcyclists/runners etc., but they have to watch, too. People can't expect those in the car to be the only ones to be watching, that's for sure. Glad nothing bad happened here.

    ReplyDelete