Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Some things change

When I first started this blog, I called it A Photo a day.  I even knew that I wouldn't be posting a photo a day, but I had high aspirations.  I started out well, then slacked off.  Then called myself on it, and wrote some more.  Then I slacked off again.

As I wrote in a comment on another blog I read, I thought I'd write more when I had more free time, like on my vacations.  That's definitely not the case as I seem to have realized that I'm doing so much on my vacations that I don't have time to sit in front of the computer for a long stretch and write about what I've done.  

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm going to write about stuff after the fact.  I don't do "Stream of Consciousness" very well, as I tend to ramble on and on as my thoughts move her to there.  But I think this might work better.  

Two or three times per week, I'll sit down and write about something.  Tonight I'll write a little bit about the start of summer vacation.  It's so hot here that it still feels like summer, although we know that it's summer's last gasp before our fall rolls in sometime next week.

As I posted back in July at the last photo contest on P.J.'s blog that I participated in, I ended up camping with a friend of mine along the east side of the Sierra Nevada and in Yosemite National Park at the beginning of June.  He hiked the John Muir trail this summer and I helped get him to his starting spot.  We ended up camping near Devils Postpile, on the east edge of Yosemite and then in Tuolumne Meadows for two nights.

He'd originally asked me to go with him, but I knew I wasn't in shape for a trek like that, but I volunteered to take him to his starting destination.  We left his truck at Whitney Portal where he would be hiking out and then drove north through Owens Valley.  After I dropped him off, I ended up spending a very lovely day walking around in Yosemite Valley, something I've never done before, at least by myself.  

I ended up taking some very nice photos, some of which haven't seen the light of day yet, but the intention is to post some of them over the course of the next couple of weeks.  On the trip, I also decided that I would grow my beard back.  I had a beard in my early forties, but haven't had one for about 15 years or so.  I just decided to see what it would look like.  I've received some nice compliments and I'm probably going to keep it for awhile, mainly because I hate to shave.  Trimming a beard, I don't mind, but I just hate shaving in general.

The top photo was taken on the top of Sentinel Dome in Yosemite.  The beard was about four days worth of growth, so it's basically a before shot and the bottom shot was taken about a month ago, with the beard fully in.  One of my students asked me whether I was going to go all "Duck Dynasty" with my beard and I definitely don't want to do that.  But I like this change, so trimming it occasionally won't bother me.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you're going at it again, Paul. I know the feeling of time. I'm still catching up on my Summer of Baseball posts, which include wanting to write several reviews of places we ate during the summer. Since the beginning of the school year, my blogging has slowed a little, but I'm going to try and plan more. I've found when I plan ahead more, I can basically be 2-3 weeks ahead on my posts and just keep adding to the end. The beauty of personal blogs is the ability to not have to be "timely" and that they can all catch up eventually.

    I'm still finding my new reader to keep track of blogs, but you know I'll always have you on mine! :D

    And this trip sounds pretty sweet. I'm a tad jealous of some of the cool places you have out there. There are some great ones here, too, but it always seems cooler when they are a distance away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trip was awesome P.J. I'd take that ride again. There is so much to explore in the Owens Valley and Sierra and I know I've only scratched the surface.

    I think it's more of a grass is always greener when you read about other people's trips. It sounds really cool to get to areas that you've never visited. Perhaps, because you know it's virgin territory for you, when it comes to caching?

    ReplyDelete