Thursday, July 10, 2014

Bike lanes

When I've been geocaching in the past, especially with my friend Jim, he's always been quick to point out that you can't park in a bike lane.  I've always heeded that pronouncement, since it made sense.

But I wanted to see exactly what the wording was regarding bicycle lanes, especially since I've taken to riding my bike again.  The reason?  Yesterday, while taking my morning ride, I encountered 5 cars parked in the bike lane.  Only one, according to the California vehicle code was legally parked.  I've quoted the specific code regarding bicycle lanes below.
Bicycle Lanes 
A bicycle lane is a designated traffic lane for bicyclists, marked by a solid white line, typically breaking into a dotted line ending before it reaches the corner. Different from a simple white line showing the edge of the road, a bicycle lane follows specific width requirements and is clearly marked as a bike lane. 
Treat a bicycle lane the same as other traffic lanes. 
Do not turn into the lane if there is a bicyclist in the bike lane 
Do not obstruct bicycle traffic by reducing the width required for safe bicycle passage, typically 3 to 4 feet.  (bold my emphasis)
When you are making a right turn and are within 200 feet of the corner or other driveway entrance, you must enter the bicycle lane only after ensuring there is no bicycle traffic, and then make the turn. Do not drive in the bicycle lane at any other time. 
You may park in a bicycle lane if your vehicle does not block a bicyclist and/or there is not a “No Parking” sign posted.  (bold my emphasis)
Drivers of motorized bicycles should use bicycle lanes carefully to avoid collisions with bicyclists.

 The two portions I've bolded above are the parts where I feel these particular vehicles were in violation of the law.  Their cars completely blocked the bicycle lane, forcing me to move into the regular traffic lane.  Only the last car I encountered on Towne Ave, just east of where I live didn't do that and that's because the bike lane there is wider than normal allowing me the 3 to 4 feet for safe passage.

I think because there weren't "No Parking" signs on the street, the owners of the vehicles felt they could park there.  A reasonable assumption, but one that puts bikers at risk.  I doubt any of the violators follow this blog, but if you decide to park in a bicycle lane, please be aware that you are blocking bicycle riders and putting them at risk for injury.

That's my soapbox for today.  I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment