Monday, April 9, 2012

Lots of zeroes

It probably isn't very significant, but last Friday, my Toyota Corolla rolled over 100,000 miles on the odometer.  I know lot of people that have cars with way more mileage than that, but it's actually the first car I've ever owned that had more mileage than the zip code I had growing up (92704 - Santa Ana, CA).  


Our van is quickly reaching that same number as I noticed it was about to roll over to 89,000 miles.  It's a year younger than our Corolla, but either way, we really don't put much mileage on our cars.  It took us almost exactly 11 years to go over 100K on the Corolla.  It will probably take a little bit less than that for the van, since we use that for major trips.


So, what's the most mileage you've gotten out of an automobile?  I'd love to hear your stories.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember any car that we haven't driven well over 100,000 miles. Right now, Sharon's Altima is at about 170K, and my 22yo 5-speed Civic is just under 297K.

    My first car was a slant-6 Dodge Dart; it finally quit on us at somewhere over 150,000 miles. Sharon's Mustang was well over 100,000 when she sold it. We had a Subaru that was our rock-hounding car; it was our first manual-transmission vehicle, and it went somewhere around 160,000, I think, possibly more. Those are the cars that stand out in my mind, although we've owned others. Even the Camry that was totaled a few years ago had over 150,000 on it. And realize that most of the vehicles that we've owned were bought used; the Altima is the first "new" car (it was a dealer demo) since we bought that Subaru before the younger two girls were born.

    Bottom line: we wouldn't buy a car that we didn't expect to put at least 150K miles on. Both of us have had jobs (and Sharon has one now) that have required a lot of driving, either on the commute, or as part of the work. And I just plain enjoy long drives, or used to; the vagaries of aging make long road trips tougher, now. I don't have a "love affair" with cars, but I do enjoy the freedom that they give us.

    ReplyDelete